[asterisk-biz] Asterisk GUI

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Jan 13 15:19:29 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 17:08 -0500, smbPBX wrote:
> I have shied away from Thirdlane becuause I recall that some Asterisk
> gurus have stated that it is *NOT* a good idea to run webmin on the
> same server as production Asterisk.
>
> Any truth to that claim?

Generally it is not a good idea to not run more than you have to on any
production server.  One of the first rules of security is to try to turn
off everything that isnt used, then lock down everything that has to
run.

There are some performance issues that might arise if you are running
everything on the same box.  anything you run needs to be checked for
security problems not just at install but throughout the life of the
system.  You need to reasonably configure the system to help prevent
such attacks, systrace can be helpful for that, its BSD licensed (unsure
if its 3 or 4 clause though) so you should be able to find it, there are
even some tools to help configure it.

In general, if it doesnt need remote access dont give it remote access,
bind network services only to the interface that is required, if it
doesnt have to run, dont run it, if it has modules and you dont use a
specific module, disable it (goes for apache, asterisk and anything
else).  Use reasonably secure passwords, etc.

At that point the only problem I see is that of capacity, by running
other services you can limit the capacity of the system, in terms of
memory and cpu (and potentially bandwidth).  Plan for that as part of
the spec and you should be fine.  Dont plan and just guess what you can
do on what hardware and you may have some problems in the future.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378