[asterisk-biz] Need a solution for wifi connection with Aster isk

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Thu Jan 12 08:07:24 MST 2006

I don't have the right solution but I do have experience in the
described environment.

I recently upgraded a WiFi installation at my local Lennox Air
Conditioning warehouse. They have a similar 2KM sized unit with an
additional outdoor storage area across the street. In this instance the
connectivity was required for the fork lift trucks as they operated a
Just In time shipping operation.

Even though they had 2.4GHz WiFi nodes nailed to the ceiling they had a
significant number of dead spots around the site and could not reach
across the road.

I installed a few 900MHz bits of equipment and changed the NIC in a few
lift trucks to 900MHz. I put a beam up on the roof pointing down into
the yard across the street. This was a total success and the rest of the
gear was swapped out for 900MHz.

Now I'm not saying that you can get 900MHz IP phones but you may be able
to purchase some higher powered analogue phone stations and litter them
about the ceiling void in the warehouse.

As for the offices, I'm stumped. My experience with WiFi phones is that
they don't roam very well requiring the user to force a network search.

Something you could look at is a phone patch. You could equip your staff
with UHF radio's (UHF has good in-building penetration) and have a few
phone patch adapters hanging off an ATA. The roaming users could then be
called at an extension which would off hook and pass the voice through
to the radio's. Yes every radio user would hear the conversation but at
least you'd be able to get them pretty much anywhere on the site without
having to litter too many antennas around the place.

The radio users generally have to dial an access code via the radio's
keypad to gain access to the dial tone. When they have the tone they can
then dial the relevant extension number.

If you need closed user groups you put different user groups on
different channels. An added bonus is that the radio users can talk to
each other without tying up the phone system.

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ
http://www.g7ltt.com