[asterisk-biz] satellite & voip providers

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Tue Jan 10 06:39:00 MST 2006

James Sharp a écrit :

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Mark wrote:
>
>> monitors (leaving to the satellite and the return from the satellite)
>> That delay would apply that to voice packets both coming and going,
>> and I really dont know how anyone could carry on a normal phone
>> conversation under those circumstances..
>

> I guess I should have qualified my entire question.  It was late and I
> was half-asleep.
>
> I work for a satellite company and we already have uplink facilities
> and space segments on several satellites (Including Intelsat 701, that
> can see out into Africa and parts of the Middle East from our uplink
> on the US East Coast).  I'm trying to get a feel for the market to see
> if its worth our time pursuing clients and customers in those areas
> for voip termination.

I think, definitely. For VoIP, the perfect provider would be:

* Somebody who can give a block of static IP addresses (since NAT + VoIP
= pain).
* Somebody who can give a symetrical, high speed burstable bandwith for
VoIP.
* "Pay as you grow" invoicing, where the invoice depends on the amount
of data which has been exchanged.

In other words, it would be nice to have a provider which offers generic
access with network contention but also has the option of giving high
priority to certain type of traffic and bill for it accordingly.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.