[asterisk-biz] satellite & voip providers

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Jan 10 06:15:17 MST 2006

> James Sharp a écrit :
>
> > Not directly Asterisk related, but I'm wondering if anyone has an
> > idea/feel for what the call would be for companies who can offer
voip
> > termination over a dedicated satellite link (not DirectWay or
anything
> > like that).
> >
> > I'm thinking more towards the countries in Africa or the Middle East
> > where voip over Internet is filtered/restricted or the Internet
> > infrastructure just isn't there.
>
> As long as you don't have packet drop, the call quality will be fine
> although the lag might be noticeable.
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel.

In many parts of Africa, you will most likely be arrested and wind up in
jail or at least fined a huge amount.

VSAT works well (weather permitting and depending on the type of VSAT
used) but is extremely expensive.  You will also draw attention to
yourself when you go through the channels of setting up VSAT.  Many
parts of Africa have rainy seasons that last months, so good luck.

Thanks,
Steve