[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk on Dell blade servers

Matthew Simpson matthew at txlink.net
Tue Jan 3 10:33:36 MST 2006

> Has anyone used these? Any feedback on whether they're
> good/bad/indifferent? What scalability do you get on simple SIP-SIP
> forwarding either with or without RTP passing through Asterisk?

I think IBM and HP both make better blade products, personally, but
that's like arguing about Linux distributions :-D

Asterisk 1.2 handles a DS3 of SIP-SIP forwarding easily for us on a
P4-3.0/RAM-1GB, and could certainly easily do more.  It takes about 1%
of CPU and 6% of RAM with 672 channels.

With RTP passing through, 200 channels on a typical P4/1GB solution
seems to be about the breaking point.  [G.711, no transcoding]