[Asterisk-biz] DDIs

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:42:35 MST 2006

On 1/3/06, Obelix <asterisklists at adontendev.net> wrote:

> I am looking for US DDIs that allow concurrent calls for both 0800 and normal
> phones.

No such thing as 0800 numbers in the US, it's either 800, 1800, or
Toll Free, the proper term is Toll free. Every provider that gives you
Toll Free numbers will give you as many concurrent calls as your lines
are limited to (in other words until your lines report back busy).
Since you are paying per minute.

> How do US providers classify long distance calls. Is it a call outside your
> state or your area code?

Well here in the US we got: Local, IntraLata, InterLata, Long
Distance, and International, as well as: Specail pay numbers (usualy
900xxxxxxx, xxx5551212 is another example), and Toll Free. What usualy
nowadays show up on the bill are: Local, Long Distance, Toll Free,
Special numbers, and International. The way thing are decided is by
LATAs. Not by area code (the exeptions are special area codes like
800, and 900), for example I can call 3 area codes that are all local,
in NYC you can dial 5 area codes that are all local (212, 718, 646,
917, and 347), on the other hand most of the lower hudson valley in NY
has the area code 845, but calling from Rockland county to Sullivan
county (both in area code 845) can cost more than calling England,
because of what's called a regional call (InterLata).

When you figure it all out, let me know.  :)

> I want to know if it is better to provide local DDIs for different areas and a
> standard toll free for everyone else.
>

> Which are the best providers out there?

AT&T and Verizon I guess (smiles anybody??????), it really depends on
the definition of best.