[Asterisk-biz] What does OnNet mean?

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Mon Jan 2 04:32:18 MST 2006

Obelix a écrit :

>I see a lot of Zones advertised as OnNet. What does that mean? Is it access via
>VoIP? Some of them use different area codes and I wonder what difference it
>makes to the receiving party.

In my book, a call which is made 'On Net' is when the callee is on the
same network as your telephone provider. An 'Off Net' call would be a
call where the callee is on a different provider.

So if you make a call to a t-mobile user using a t-mobile SIM card,
you're 'On Net'. If you're calling a vodafone user with the same SIM
card, it's an 'Off Net' call.

At least this is the terminology I've heard so far - YMMV.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.