[asterisk-biz] Locally vs Server generated ring tones

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Sat Feb 25 19:36:25 MST 2006

If you put a 30 second wait in your extensions.conf, do you hear 30
seconds of silence before the call is answered?

exten => s,1,Wait,30
exten => s,n,Answer

If that is the case, the problem has nothing to do with asterisk at all.
You have to understand that without the wait it is quite normal for
asterisk to answer a call so fast that no ringback is heard. It is also
quite normal for a modem, fax or pbx on a PRI to do the same. My 207-433
Bangor Maine efax number usually answers and sends fax tone without any
ringback being heard. Many dialup ISP's do the same. I am quite
accustomed to voicemail and paging systems acting the same way.

So if you really want a ringback and the cisco gear is correct you have
to wait before answering to be sure the caller hears at least one
ringback. Try the 30 second wait to see what the gateways are doing. If
that works, play with the wait value to get what you want. If that
doesn't work, whoever is responsible for the cisco gear needs to config
it right or replace it with gateways that work.