[asterisk-biz] Locally vs Server generated ring tones

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Sat Feb 25 17:24:45 MST 2006

Mark wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> Mark wrote:
>>

>>> Can you be more specific as to what you mean??

>> 'R' as in read the wiki, read the docs, read the comments in the example
>> config file.
>>
>> I seem to remember reading about it when first starting out with
>> asterisk. It's an option for dial().
>>

> Perhaps what I am asking is not clear enough. I am not talking aboput
> SENDING a DID from an Asterisk box, I am talkig about receiving those
> calls that a cisco Gateway is returning no ring back tone for. I want
> the asterisk (endpoint) to generate those tones.

You have to answer the call to put ringback or music on the line. Are
you sure you want to put ringback on a call immediately after answering?
The calling party thinks that the call is unanswered and no billing has
started. That's why it is nice to insert a short voice message before
sending ringback for an extension. Please hold while I try that
extension. I am trying to locate your party now. I am transferring you
to that extension now.

Anyway, if you use the dial() command at that point you can use 'r' for
ringback or 'm' for music. When I use goto in the dial plan it usually
is going to an agi-based extension that answers and sends audio
immediately so no need for any ringback.

Just in case you haven't studied the example config files these lines:

exten => s,1,Wait,1                    ; Wait a second, just for fun
exten => s,n,Answer                     ; Answer the line

actually give a good example to start with. Change the last 1 to higher
value and maybe the caller will hear a ringback tone. I am quite used to
seeing this effect with T1 and PRI circuits. If the call routing is
superb and you answer immediately, the caller hears no ringbacks. This
might be part of your problem. You are answering too soon.