[asterisk-biz] Bypassing the PSAP for 911

Matt Larsen - Lists lists at manageisp.com
Fri Feb 24 00:06:10 MST 2006

Has anyone on this list considered bypassing the PSAP system and putting
in an Internet-based replacement at the local communication center to
provide e911 information for VOIP callers?

For example....

I provide the internet connection for several of the communication
centers responsible for handling 911 calls in my area.  Why couldn't I
put in a box either right next to, or directly in front of their PSAP
connection that receives and reports the 911 information through the
Internet from my Asterisk box when someone dials 911?

I can't help but think that this would be a trivial piece of programming
to come up with.  Need to add database records for the customer address
on the Asterisk box, and some kind of dial plan that reported the
customer information to the remote end of the 911 system  when someone
dials.  PSAP T1s are just T1s, I'm guessing it would be fairly simple to
format the information coming from the remote 911 box to look like a
regular PSAP T1 as it goes into the Communication Center box.

Is anyone doing this?  If not, why?

Matt Larsen
mlarsen at vistabeam.com