[asterisk-biz] Canadian toll-free and SIP termination

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Feb 23 08:53:51 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 15:34 +0000, Linus Surguy wrote:
> > We're looking, we think, for about 150,000 minutes a month in the early
> > stages, and probably never exceeding 4 million minutes a month. My guess
> > is that we'll need no more than around 150 simultaneous voice channels to
> > start with.
>
> If you're starting with 150,000 minutes then (unless you know otherwise!)
> this would normally only need 15-odd channels. 4 Million minutes on the
> other hand is more like 300 channels.

Another way to do this is that 24 channels generally about 1M minutes
24/7.  There are normally 21 work days a month, and of those 21 (70% of
a month) days work hours are normally 9-5 (33% of a day) of that.  So if
you are calling only business hours 9-5 M-F a T1 (not pri) would do
about 230k minutes.  Or the inverse if you peg a T1 during work hours
only you will only do about 230k minutes.  Granted pegging a T1 9-5 only
is a rare and special occurance normally unless you are a call center,
so knowldge of the customer is also a factor.

Yes I am being quite incoherent in this, just trying to express a
different way to think about capacity.

To the original poster 150k-4M minutes is quite a spread.  4M minutes
are likely to take closer to 400 channels minimum, I think 300 would be
pushing it (90% of calls spread evenly over 8 hours would be 357
channels, with 10% making up the rest of the month, but if you service
multiple timezones the business calls will be more spread out, if you do
some hotels or home users where more calls are made at night than during
the day (cause people are at the office) etc then your channel count can
go down).

Again those are guesses, without knowing the types of customers you
would have its really really hard to say what capacity would be needed.

150k minutes however is likely to be a FAR smaller number and 150 would
be more than fine for that in most circumstances.
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378