[asterisk-biz] UTStarCom F1000 and AP Roaming

Cory Andrews cory at voipsupply.com
Thu Feb 9 09:52:00 MST 2006

The "endpoint" of SIP and RTP would not change mid-call.   If the phone
stays on the same subnet, off the same access controller, and with the same
IP address, the hand over is accomplished at Layer 2.  From the perspective
of the SIP server, all RTP and SIP packets would continue to go to the same
place - the access controller.  The phone just moves its physical connection
from one AP to another.  This is why the solution works with APs all
connected to one router and not with independent AP/Routers.  In the
AP/Router case, the phone would need to get a new IP address and reregister,
then re-invite the call - which would take far too long (like 20 to 30
seconds) to be considered a "hand over".

Cory Andrews
Purchasing Manager
VOIPSupply.com
A Division of b2 Technologies