[asterisk-biz] Dedicated Virtual Asterisk Boxes

Dovid Bender asteriskdigium at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 13:12:02 MST 2006

Hello List,
I am in talks now with a Data center that currently
offers VPS services. I tried to install asterisk on a
box and it didnt work. It is because you have to have
the zapata files compiled on the VPS host. If this is
done than asterisk will work fine on the VPS. The way
thier service currently works is as follows:
You are given an IP address for your virtual machine.
You are also given a web portal from which you can set
up/configure and control the virtual machine. You can
set up what kind of virtual Hard drives you want, the
size etc. You select the kernel that you want along
with the OS of your choice. From the top of my head I
know thay have CentOS 3.4, 4.0,4.2 Server and dektop
edition, Fedora core and many other popular ones.
After you make the election it installs the OS and
kernel that you selected on to the drive that you
selected. You then telnet in and have the machine all
ready to run. If there is enough intrest he is
thinking of developing the same idea but to serve the
asterisk community. There will be the same web portal
you will be able to select what version of asterisk
you want to use etc.

I believe thier prices are as follows:
192 megs of ram and 12 gigs of space for $49.00
256 Megs of ram and 15 gigs of space for $59.00
They have prices that are above and blow what there is
above. I think these are good for basic systems and
test machines.

The prices may be a bit higher since they will have to
redo thier VPS system (Maybe $10.00 - $15.00 more per
month). If this does take off they will work with
tier1 carries to sell you DID's, and other VOIP
services direclty from the VPS web portal.

Some advantages for such a system as as follows:
1)Lower cost then getting a dedicated server (for
smaller end places)
2)Good for resellers that want to sell individual
services to diffrent people.
3)Good for beta testing. If you want to test a new
release you can use it on the VPS system. If something
goes wrong you log in to the web portal and with in
minutes you have a frsh new system with asterisk
installed on it.
4)Complete root access to the server. You have full
control over it.
5)Easy set up. No need to compile and install all the
diffrent packages. Just click and its done.

If there is anyone that would be intereseted in such
service please email me.

Thanks.
Dovid

PS This is for a company that I am trying to get to
include asterisk in thier distro's (I want to use
virtual machines for testing instead of several p3's
around my house). I do not work for them.