[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Feb 5 11:33:45 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 09:36 -0800, Geoff Karl wrote:
> Do we need license both ends a channel (client and server), or does
> just having a license on your asterisk server allow you to use the
> client as well?

The way g.729 licensing works is that you need 1 license per endpoint
that either encodes, decodes or both.  If asterisk is in the middle
doing something with the data (such that it is encoding and/or decoding)
then it would need potentially 2 for that call, becuase while it is
bridging it is encoding/decoding.  If asterisk is just pushing bits and
not actually encoding/decoding then you dont need any.

These license numbers are per call effectively.  Each endpoint is
counted as a seperate channel so if you have 5 calls terminating on your
asterisk box via g.729 or transcoding to some other codec then you need
5 licenses.

The end points (sip phone for example) would also need a license (if you
bought a phone with that codec it most likely does have it as part of
its purchase price) will also need a license, 1 for each channel.  I
heard that some ATAs come only with 1 yet support multiple channels as
such they let you have 1 g.729 and 1 something else at  the same time
but never 2 g.729 at the same time.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378