[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Feb 5 02:12:18 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 09:53 +0100, Ron Arts wrote:
> Will there also be G729B support?
> This is pretty important for us.
>
> Ron

There is an additional fee for both annex A & B I am unsure yet if it
will have both or not.  Idealy we would like to extend this to all
codecs that are patented, GSM/AMR, g.723.1 etc.  We do eventually have
to draw the line somewhere.

Also please note that the codecs do not have to be written by us for
this to work, we are creating an infrastructure to license codecs, and
in one model share them between members in the VoIP community (the other
all codec licenses are private and not shared).  The sharing is to lower
the cost more than anything else.

I will see about the fee difference for g.729 annex B and see if its
worth it to bundle g.729A&B or have seperate license pools for A vs B.
Obviously we have to have different pools as it is since there is no
single source for all codecs, even with sipro.com you have to get
seperate agreements for g.723.1 and g.729 even though they are the
'clearinghouse' for both - this is because they have to pay different
groups since there isnt common ownership between the two.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378