[asterisk-biz] INDIA DID provider

Rajeev Natarajan rajeevpn at gyantec.co.in
Sun Feb 5 02:15:05 MST 2006

One-line history: Termination of VoIP into PSTN, afaik, has been long
since illegal in India. There's a toll free number that you are
requested to call (to complain) if your caller id shows a local number
when you receive an international call.

Only as of recent times (since this year) has the country seen changes
brought into the policies (Ref www.dotindia.com www.trai.gov.in -
Unified Access License Page). The laws specifically talk about only
certain sets of players being able to do the termination legally.

http://www.ispai.in/response.htm has an interesting note. (ILD -
International Long Distance; NLD - National Long Distance)

http://in.rediff.com/money/2006/jan/24phone.htm also talks about why
there's not much of an incentive for the big telecom providers (who are
the only ones who can do termination) to switch to VoIP for domestic -
like Vonage. (IMHO, they might still offer the termination to target the
Non-resident Indian Community and the growing number of businesses
overseas who would like such a feature. Then again, the companies would
rather have a US virtual number in India than have an Indian virtual
number in the US.

Long story short: If someone offers an Indian DID, please be careful!

What is allowed: As an individual, you can do PC-PC; PC-overseas PSTN;
SIP-SIP (with no origination or termination with the Indian PSTN)

Voice over IP over a managed network is allowed - essentially a leased
line and so on. So may companies get you to lease an IPLC from say
Bangalore to Singapore and terminate in Singapore.

Rajeev
PS: I may be entirely wrong on the interpretation of the law; I will
only be happy to stand corrected if anyone points me in the right direction.

--
Chief Technology Officer
Gyantec Consulting (I) Pvt. Ltd.