[asterisk-biz] Good UK VoIP provider?

Christopher Bergström cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Sat Feb 4 03:06:13 MST 2006

Garth van Sittert wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Can anyone recommend a good UK VoIP provider?  Preferably someone in
> London.

I did some basic research in terms of rate and quality.

Company
	Rate to USA in $
	TDM
	Country
	Have real sip proxy
	Latency Averaged

	SIP Gateway
	Codecs
	URL
	Notes
Dualtalk
	.03
	yes
	UK
	?
	50ms

	sip.dualtalk.com 	g729a
	http://dualtalk.com/sipuraconfig.htx

Callunion
	.024
	unknown
	UK
	no
	67ms

	sip.callunion.com

	http://www.callunion.com
	Nice , but simple control panel with call forwarding.
Widevoip
	.03
	yes
	France
	no/stun
	47ms

	sip.widevoip.com
	g729a,GSM,g711u
	www.widevoip.com
	Due to an error in information my test account was closed and then
reopened... Still need to request changed password for testing.
Gradwell***
	.03
	yes
	UK
	yes
	98ms

	sip.gradwell.com
	g729a,GSM,g711u
	www.gradwell.com
	Past experience is tied to Calluk. Good and knowledgeable support.

*** I have worked with both the CallUK (aka Gossiptel, aka many other
names) and one of their partners Gradwell.com . (owned by Peter
Gradwell.) Some* call Calluk tech people were brilliant, but the overall
experience was that of incompetence.  The Gradwell folks while loosely
associated with Calluk were always intelligent and helpful.

Widevoip in terms of performance and quality was the clear winner, but I
have not used them for more than the most basic testing. (See notes)

This is all on the consumer side of things. Please feel free to let me
know about any further findings you have.

Cheers,

C.

ps. If any of this information is in error feel free to correct me. I
have tried my best to make it accurate and I'm not associated with any
of these companies.