[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

Cirelle Enterprises gcirino at cirelle.com
Fri Feb 3 08:53:54 MST 2006

Paul wrote:

>The discussion was about smaller providers. They can create a vpn tunnel
>to connect their asterisk and ser to the customer. If the customer can't
>use vonage and others because his ISP is playing games, so much the
>better for the smaller provider who implements vpn.

But the small provider hosting the asterisk/ser are also subject to the
intervention
and service interuptions, unless the asterisk box does not utilize ip
transmission
to an additional terminator such as L3, or ...   In the US/NE Verizon
owns the last
mile for non cable access (e.g. T3, T1, DSL, etc...) and Verizon is one
of the companies
who feel they own the transmission as stated in the article I had
referenced in a

I agree if a small provider tunnels (vpn) to a client and the provider
is exclusive
to multiple pots lines, there would be no (or few) issues, but that is
not usually
the case, as I see it... maybe I'm wrong?

When it comes to the customer, they don't care if the breakdown is between
them and the small provider or between the small provider and
terminator. All
they know is it don't work, and drop the small provider like a hot rock.

2.5 cents, sorry

--
Best Regards

Greg Cirino