[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:11:29 MST 2006

On 2/3/06, Cirelle Enterprises <gcirino at cirelle.com> wrote:
> Mark Phillips wrote:
>
> > The fella's at MIT spent an awful lot of time and money demonstrating
> > that the tin foil hat did nothing to protect one from mind
> > rays/microwaves/government propaganda/whatever.
> >
> > Particularly useless was the "Fez" type which when exposed to 1.2GHz
> > of RF actualy had a concentrating effect much like the pringles
> > "cantenna".
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
> > Randolph, NJ
> > http://www.g7ltt.com

Communities such as torrents have always been good at coming up with
good technologies, I'm not worried that they wont be able to come up
with something to bypass the above mentioned ones, and yes I think in
a cat and mouse contest the consumer will win.

> Ironically, some companies offering deep packet inspection technology claim
> that today's more unfettered use of the Internet is creating "a tragedy
> of the
> commons." That the public use of the Internet and "greedy" use of P2P could
> lead to its "overuse and eventual depletion or destruction," claims a
> paper from
> the Sandvine Corporation ...
>

> Additionally, there is an attitude of at least one major telco executive
> which
> appears to show the direction these folks are heading:
>
> ... As Ed Whitacre, CEO of AT&T, told Business Week in November, "Why
> should
> they be allowed to use my pipes? The Internet can't be free in that
> sense, because
> we and the cable companies have made an investment and for a Google or
> Yahoo!
> or Vonage or anybody to expect to use these pipes [for] free is nuts!" ...

It's ironic how this Ed Whitacre didn't notice how *his* traffic from
AT&T is routed onto the Internet for free as well, and that it is *us*
the consumers that enabled that investment to work, if not for the
good things like Yahoo Google and/or Vonage Western Union would have
still delivered Yellow envelopes today, and AT&T would have had to buy
a spot on the Superbowl to sell their funny service called Internet.
It just shows that he failed his networking class tests, and was
*never* a field engineer.