[asterisk-biz] The Ambiguously Open Duo (Was: Copy protect your Asterisk Box)

Henry J. Cobb hcobb at io.com
Sat Dec 23 03:44:38 MST 2006

> On 12/22/06 06:07 Matt Dunkin said the following:
>> I think one of the first people to respond hit this right on the head...
>> Asterisk is GPL and you cannot copyright something that is GPL however
>
> proprietary license or GPL, the copyright for Asterisk belongs to Digium.
> think the user's question was more towards not providing the source, as
> the
> GPL requires, to his customers. this is not a Good Thing(tm).
>
> dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)

The current GPL doesn't require you to share the keys that actually turn
on your motor.  "Here is the complete software code, minus the crypto keys
the binaries need to be signed with to run at all and other vital
configuration details.  Have fun."

Root Mean Squared (A.I. researcher who acquired electrifying superpowers
while attempting to reverse engineer a printer driver) is very cross about
this, but his sidekick Penguin the kernel hacking boy wonder thinks it's
cool that the supervillians and phone companies don't need to share the
secrets of their sharks with lasers on their heads.

-HJC