Netroots Net Neutrality "Lobbying" (was: Re: [asterisk-biz] Iptables rule help)

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Fri Dec 15 14:09:06 MST 2006

	The House and Senate telecom committee chairs are now all Democrats
(tiny possibility that some political fluke will threaten a Democratic
Senate majority), after the Democratic takeover in last month's
elections. So the current telecom bill is dead in committee. The cableco
and telco bribes/lobbying sunk into that bill are all now on Plan B. So
there is now a chance to reboot the telecom bill to protect Net
Neutrality (equal accessibility by competitors to quality carriage
regardless of content). Write a short, polite *paper* letter to your
House/Senate reps, especially if they're on/chairing a telecom committee
mentioning "Net Neutrality" and whatever other familiar (to them)
buzzwords with which you agree.

	The next Congress probably won't pass any but a really temporary
stopgap telecom bill, instead concentrating on "cleaning up" from the
last (Republican) Congress, and "setting up" for the next (they hope
Democratic) presidential election in late 2008. So there's 2 years to
convince our reps that freedom and commerce, not monopoly, depend on
equitable access to networks. After that, it'll be too late. For a
decade, maybe a lifetime, probably a career.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=us+congress
+telecommunications+committee&go=Go

http://www.eff.org/cgi/search-proxy.py?q=%28%22net+neutrality%22+OR+%
22network+neutrality%27+OR+%22internet+neutrality%22%29&sa=Search+EFF

(C) Matthew Rubenstein