[asterisk-biz] How is Fonality

Nick Stein nicholasstein at cox.net
Wed Dec 13 22:22:54 MST 2006

I have been reading the flames back and forth about Trixbox on this list
lately and really do not have an axe to grind one way or the other.

However...

We had dealings with Bob Murphy, who also reads this list, and I can
recommend him highly.  He was the most knowledgable of the vendors we talked
to.  He was very up front with us that he makes his money on hours not on
hardware or software.  So you pay for what you want configured.  His quote
was delivered on a timely basis and was the lowest priced vendor of about 6
we interviewed in terms of installed cost and support.

There are other folks on this list that use a different business model.
They charge for the Hardware and Software and apparently give the support
away.  Some other also charge for support. We liked Bob's business model and
it looks like our TCO is lowest with him.  He also sells other solutions
beside Asterisk, including Cisco and other biggies.

We were unable to complete the deal with him for our company because our
scheduled next round of financing has not arrived.  However, he was in the
top 3 vendors along with 2 hosted PBX solutions that were more expensive.
My management may decide to go with a hosted PBX solution because they do
not want to own hardware, but I can still recommmend Bob and his company
highly.

Whether or not you get a Fonality, Trixbox, EdgeBox or straight up Asterisk
on Linux build, I still recommend you get Bob to configure it for you even
if you think you know what you are doing.  He simply brings more expertise
to the table than most vendors.

Nick Stein, CODA Genomics, Inc.