[asterisk-biz] NuFone comes through

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Fri Dec 8 18:57:59 MST 2006

Lacy Moore - Aspendora wrote:

> On 12/4/06, *Steve Totaro* <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
> <mailto:stotaro at totarotechnologies.com>> wrote:
>
>     I wonder if VoIP over the public internet meets the HIPAA standards?
>

> I thought about that myself.  I hope these aren't any type of
> emergency numbers using the internet.  I imagine some lawyers are
> foaming at the mouth ready to jump on this one...

Funny thing is that when a medical provider, bank or credit card company
calls me they never ask if I am using a secure line. I doubt that the
majority of voip and cell subscribers understand the implications. Maybe
the disclosure requirements should include that aspect. If I plug my
laptop into the average hotel or college dormitory LAN, it's probably
fairly easy to eavesdrop on any voip calls.