[asterisk-biz] Asterisk coders wanted: Silicon Valley, CA

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Aug 15 22:07:14 MST 2006

Apologies if this is written in a way that is atypical of a job
search request - I have determined that most astute readers try to
read between the lines in any job description, and the Asterisk
community is populated with a cynical and intelligent sort, so I'll
just make things a bit more transparent than normal.  Many of you
know me, and those that do not can do a quick Google search to
determine that I am fairly active in the Asterisk community on a
variety of fronts, so this is not a frivolous posting.

One of my new ventures is looking to hire some Asterisk-proficient C
coders for various dialplan, AGI, and integration tasks for a
large-scale deployment of a fairly interesting voice application.
This is full-time work in California, at normal industry wages (iow:
this is not minimum wage coding for the hopes of future worth, though
of course future value is what everyone should use as their criteria
for making an employment decision.)

I can only describe the application and service which is fairly
intricate and requires significant hardware/network resources when
deployed.  Anyone involved with this project would almost certainly
be implementing the largest VoIP application platform of their
career.  Asterisk plays a significant role in many of our components,
and we wish to expand and strengthen those portions of our service
offering.

Sorry to be so vague on the details or even the company name - I
personally dislike listening to hand-wavers talking about
un-describable projects, which tends to remind me of why inventors of
perpetual motion machines never allow close scrutiny of their
devices.   While at the moment we are certainly "stealth", that will
not last for more than a few more months at which point you would be
the subject of close questioning by all your peers and friends about
your involvement, as our product is expected to generate what will
hopefully amount to widespread press coverage.  This is not vaporware
- we have operating platforms, and now we have to make them scale.

I think it is worth mentioning that much of the code will be
"internal only," but I expect that many of the patches or changes
that are made for our firm will be released back to the Asterisk
community, hopefully returning some of the value that we have
received from Asterisk.  However, this is very dependent on the
project at hand.

Here are the requirements:

Mandatory skills:
   - extremely strong C coding experience
   - extremely strong Asterisk dialplan/AGI experience
      in a service provider/enterprise setting

Must be very strong in:
   - MySQL/Postgres or other SQL-based database system
   - Perl
   - SIP and general VoIP protocol networking
   - general Linux/UNIX system administration

Preferred:
   - I know who you are from reading your well-written patches, posts,
or articles.
   - You have other OSS projects that you have worked on
   - You have a portfolio of visible work
   - PHP or other web-to-database application/middle layer experience
(Zope, etc.)

Locale:
   - This job is located in San Mateo, CA.  Remote work is not
considered, as this
       will involve close cooperation with the team here.
   - Exceptional candidates will get a small relocation expense.
   - Candidates must be permitted to work in the US

Bonus points if you have written articles, books, or given classes in
C, database design, or Asterisk.   I am looking for coders who can
think on their own, and who have managed large OSS development
efforts with a team under their technical or administrative guidance.
This is not a management position, but it requires the careful
forethought of someone who is used to such roles within a small
company.  This is a coding job, without much overhead or nonsense -
we are a small company, and we have some realistic but
fast-approaching deadlines.  There are significant "upside"
potentials with this project, but it requires the best programmers to
make the success happen.

Please send replies via email only to jtodd at loligo.com and I will
contact you or forward appropriately.  No third-party applications -
placement agency email will be deleted without review.

JT