[asterisk-biz] How do ITSP's do it?

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 07:59:11 MST 2006

On 8/9/06, Bruce Reeves <asterisk at nortex-networks.com> wrote:

> Trixter,
>
> Can you share with me how you looked that information up? Here is were I'm
> getting lost I guess, if I bought a PRI from SBC and it came with 99 DID
> numbers, I could resale those DIDs to my clients, but I would have to have a
> a Asterisk server connected to the PRI and a high quality Internet
> connection between clients and my server. But that does not seem to make any
> sense to me when I compare that to what ITSP's are doing, they don't have
> servers or switches in all these locations do they?

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that "most" ITSPs with large coverage
footprints obtain their DIDs from a larger company like Level(3). Level(3),
being a CLEC in many areas, already has a ton of DIDs throughout the
country, and has the infrastructure to backhaul these calls most anywhere,
perhaps over IP or perhaps over PRI.

I suspect that the most common way to gain access to these is to obtain IP
connectivity directly from Level(3), and they will route the calls that come
into the DIDs to your server over their own IP network, which presumably is
either grossly overprovisioned or uses QoS to ensure call quality. That way,
the calls never hit the public Internet, but you could still fit more than
one call in a DS-0's worth of throughput if you use a low-bitrate codec.

Alternatively, perhaps one can obtain PRIs from Level(3), and L3 will send
the calls received at your DIDs through the PRI(s) at your location.

If anyone can confirm or deny that this is how it works; I'd be interested
to hear it :).

-Rusty