[asterisk-biz] Solutions for ADSL failover and load balancing

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Tue Aug 1 10:06:31 MST 2006

We have a customer who would like to offer SIP over multiple xDSL
circuits to their PBX customers. This is both for extra capacity using
load balancing and for failover. The end customers will have a small
Enswitch/Asterisk or other VoIP soft switch at their site, and who wish
to use our customer's service for calls to and from the PSTN.

Failover can be done using RIP or OSPF, but load balancing SIP across
multiple xDSLs is a bit beyond our experience. Has anyone
recommendations of how to do this?

The DSL routers will do NAT, so there will be 2 or more separate
external addresses (so the hosted service needs to know to deliver calls
to all). Forwarding ports on the routers is acceptable, as is some sort
of VPN device.

--
Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,