[asterisk-biz] Re:Telemarketers Re: WANTED: New VOIP 411 listings

411XML Richard Weerts asterisk at ndis.us
Fri Apr 28 13:53:15 MST 2006

Tim:

Very good question about telemarketers and directory assistance listings.

Unfortunately this is true, as it is for new DA listings provided by a conventional telephone company.  Our submissions are no different, this is completely out of our control.

Unlike phone companies we do not provide the listings to book publishers, however.  Some of the marketing lists come from phone book scanning and overseas transcription services, but others do come from electronic aggregation or simply queries to directory asistance databases.   We disclose this to all participants.

One way to greatly reduce it is to list with no street address.  The absence of the street address makes the listing less attractive to telemarketers because they cannot geocode or confirm a USPS legitimate address.   Generally people requesting 411 directory assistance for businesses do not specify the address, only the business name, city and state.

On the residential side, of course, the listing subject should register first with donotcall.gov, and wait 30 days to list with 411.

Sincerely,

---

Richard Weerts
National Directory Information Services, LLC
61 Moraga Way, Suite 1
Orinda, CA  94563
voice (925) 254-6518
fax (925) 940-9509