[asterisk-biz] backup power requirements for emergency calling

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Apr 14 15:51:58 MST 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 18:20, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> In words of Randy Bush, I encourage my competitors to use you for the
> electrical engineering. *plonk*

I'm sure they already do.  :-)

> I don't know about squirrels in your neck of woods, but over here in New
> York, I've had my genset start exactly once in 5 years that wasn't a
> "major power outage". (Major power outage = 9/11 and 2003 blackout).

If your genset starts up within 20 seconds of an outage and it hasn't been
started up in 5 years then you either have no clue as to what your genset's
doing or you're outright lying.  New York's power quality ain't that great
that they haven't had an outage longer than 20 seconds in 5 years.

> Starting genset is a minor price to pay for assurance that your stuff is
> operating properly *at the moment of the outage* and UPS batteries won't
> be unnecessarily drained.

That very well may be, but it's also unnecessary wear on the engine and
starter if you're starting it every time the grid blips.

> Besides, no ATS will run genset for 2-3 minutes, they all have "30 minute
> minimum" and then "spindown" time.

I typically have the minimum around half that time.  Either way, it's
hysteresis; you flip on the genset after every blip, I tend to wait and make
reasonably sure it'll be out for a while.  You run it for a half hour after
starting it, I run it for about 15.

*plonk* me if you like, I am willing to bet my gensets require far less
maintenance than yours, based simply on the assumption that mine start up far
less often than yours.

-A.