[asterisk-biz] CISCO 7960 IP Phone Interface to Web ?

411XML Richard Weerts asterisk at ndis.us
Thu Apr 13 08:55:02 MST 2006

Hello Asterisk community:

If this is off topic, I apologize; please direct me if so.  But this is a list I monitor and know many of you are familiar with these IP phones.

We are an XML web service provider of telco directory assistance and other data.

We have a request from a client to assist them in providing directory assistance search and dial capabilities to their CISCO 7960 IP phones.  (I.e. so users do NOT call 411 on their phones, use form-based search instead and can view search results and choose to dial one of the resulting numbers from the search)

If anyone is familiar, I have a few questions:

 - can you program a buton to navigate a browser to a particular web URL and display a form?  (assuming the URL's response meets whatever HTML-ish markup is required)

 - are web-form applications practical on the screen ?  That is, is it possible for a user to "type" a name like Smith and a city, submit it?   How does this work for searching an internal corporate directory (probably a scrolling list, which is possible because of the limited number of listings.)?

 - is there a companion PC-based application that would allow you to do such searches on the PC, view the results, and click a number to make the phone call it?

 - does the phone have capability to  make a URL request on the inbound call using the callerID value (in order to obtain from a remote service the caller's directory information )  I assume it is quite common to do this to an internal corporate directory.

Thanks for any help.

---

Richard Weerts
National Directory Information Services, LLC
61 Moraga Way, Suite 1
Orinda, CA  94563
voice (925) 254-6518
fax (925) 940-9509