[Asterisk-biz] Caller ID name propagation

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat Sep 17 10:24:18 MST 2005

My ILEC(Mid Maine) installed a new business line in May. They got the
caller ID name right but billed it to my residential account. When they
fixed that issue, they somehow set the name back to the default of
"Olamon ME".  At first I thought it was just a matter of other CLECs
catching up to database changes. After about 3 weeks, I called the ILEC
and they said that the correct name showed up on their displays but they
would check with verizon. Somebody then entered an incorrectly spelled
name into the system. I discovered this because I got a verizson
directory and the mailing label had that spelling. Same day I got a call
from the verizon directory listing sales people and they had the name
wrong. I also started getting lots of telemarketing calls asking for the
wrong company along with lots of snail mails addressed this way.

The ILEC says that the fix was submitted to verizon and the ticket
closed about 10 days ago. I still get the wrong caller ID name when
calling vonage, broadvoice and voicepulse accounts.

My questions:

Can anybody here shed light on the database propagation issue? Once a
RBOC changes the database, how long should it normally take for other
CLECs to be using that data?

Does anybody here have a verizon number with caller ID name service that
I can call? If so, email me offlist so I can call and you can tell me
what name verizon reports. I am beginning to suspect that verizon did
not really fix the problem.

Paul