[Asterisk-biz] RE: Is there a pricing comparison somewhere?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Sep 16 08:15:15 MST 2005

>> Phones are phones, there's no scope there. I'm amazed by your Snom
>> comment, have you used Polycoms?

>Well telephony is just not the same all over the world.

Yup. I sampled quite a few phones to my users and the only one that they all
agreed on was Snom. Technical issues aside, it was the only phone that they
felt had the ergonomics and look just right. Little touches like the
Euro-design and the rubbery keys they really liked. *every* *other* *phone*
my users looked at they had a laundry list of complaints, which could be
summed up as: "I hated the look and feel of the phone / it looked cheap / it
looked goofy /it looked embarassing / too Star-Trek-y"

Remember, endusers are tactile and they will chose a crappy phone in a great
looking case over the best phone in a so-so case every time. Same as the
tiny / cool cellphone phenomenon, my company (not me: endusers) chose a dog
crap Audiovox cell phone 'cause it looked cool; they had status symbol lust.
The *only* funny part of Zoolander was the cell phone part where he uses
tweezers to open his cell phone, funny because it was true.

Their choice was was fortunate for me as well because I feel Snoms are
technically very strong, super easy to set up, very good feature set, good
support, and reasonable price. And they support GSM wOOt!

Granted I didn't sample a high end phone, but we didn't want a high end
phone we want a midrange phone.