[Asterisk-biz] Strategic Alliance

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sun Sep 11 19:51:49 MST 2005

Race Vanderdecken wrote:

>Hmmm Gentlemen,
>
>	We are presented with a list of things needed to build a good
>system.
>
>	Where did this list come from?

I don't see it as anything that he couldn't have done on his own. It's
not exactly a detailed specification so there is no way I could quote
anything other than my rate schedule.

>	Could it be that he has gotten a quote from a Brother Consultant
>and now wants to phish for a better bid?

A good consultant doesn't have to do free quotes that involve much of
his time. I charge by the hour for doing anything that could be put out
for bids. I always advise customers why this is the right way to do it.
There are good sources of hardware, origination, termination, etc.
available but my customer needs somebody involved who won't be getting
any type of commissions or kickbacks from those vendors. If I write a
project spec that the rest of you guys bid for, I still get paid for
doing that. If I spend a few hours helping my client recruit and hire
one of you for the next year or so, I get paid for those hours. It's not
unusual for me to make $400 for helping to choose a programmer who will
make several thousand dollars. I know the right questions to ask the
candidates. Most of my clients think somebody who took a night course in
msoffice and wrote a macro is a computer genius.