[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk 10 Commandments? (was Asterisk Ffork)

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 25 03:32:14 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 12:25 +0200, Alexander Wiercinski wrote:
> I am sure that if the new switch works better and your clients will want
> openPBX rather then asterisk your loyalties to digium will quickly fade.

I dunno about that a friend works for someone who pushes novel netware
on his clients (who often dont know better) for no reason other than
that is what he knows and likes.

Near as I can tell the major reason for the fork was the dual license of
asterisk, both in that the dual license exists and that some code isnt
adopted into asterisk officially because the authors didnt want to dual
license it.  Because of the common roots, that means that both asterisk
and openpbx can work to the same end and achieve better software
regardless of which you select.

> In the end it is the quality of software and our customers who decide where
> our loyalties are.  The rest, including some spirit, is just bulshit.

Providing the customers know, there are always those that will push
their favourite onto customers who may not even know what either product
is prior to discussing matters.  My comment about the spirit of the gpl
was in reference to the bastards comment.

If everyone who used gpl software under the terms of the gpl is a
bastard (as the original commenter suggested) then everyone who isnt
running asterisk business edition is a bastard, unless its a 'you have
to use it my way or you are a bastard'.  I am not sure which the
original poster meant.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378