[Asterisk-biz] Music on hold licensing

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Oct 12 07:43:10 MST 2005

They would have to write the music themselves then or find music in the
public domain.  The singers and songwriters own the copyright or transfer it
to another organization to be managed.

Most music says it cannot be performed publicly (or recorded for performance
or broadcast) without consent - which means they want to find out whether
they want a cut of the proceeds if there are any, or charge a fee for it's
use.

A lot of music requires only a small fee making it possible for schools to
perform it.

Some music is out of copyright because the original copyright owner is long
dead.  Mozart, Bach, etc.  Music publishers can still get around this.  So
unless you have an original you may not be able to perform it for free.

Truly a convoluted mess, especially when you are trying to do the right
thing.

-Nate