[Asterisk-biz] Microsoft, Yahoo to link IM services

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Wed Oct 12 00:30:35 MST 2005

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 01:40 -0400, Paul wrote:
>

>>Interesting news because it mentions the google messenger and voice services.
>>
>>Microsoft, Yahoo to link IM services - Yahoo! News
>>
>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051012/bs_nm/microsoft_yahoo_dc
>>

>maybe I can finally drop one, although with bitlbee it doesnt matter
>much.  However I do see a shift towards more voice services being
>commonplace.  Ebay and google are going to push them hard on people.
>Yahoo has had a voice type chat for years.  As people become more
>comfortable with it it may see a larger market share in front of the
>curtain (VoIP has had a large marketshare behind the scenes for a
>while ...).
>
>The only problem I can see with this is that some of the people running
>IM type networks dont always have good servers/bandwidth to support
>everything they try to do.  That makes an impression to many of poor
>quality, why many people say VoIP isnt ready for primetime all the while
>not knowing that they prolly have talked on a VoIP call and not known
>it.

The thing that interested me is that the article says this move is
partly in response what google is doing.

There was discussion here about the possibility of asterisk connecting
to google voice. It would be interesting if a gaim-style library could
be used to accomplish that.

My hope is that a free IM network with voice support will emerge.
Asterisk would fit in nicely with that. The nice thing is that it
probably gets around the legal problems voip users face in some
countries. People could reach me by IM  voice which * bridges to my cell
phone and vice versa. I think that as long as the people in those
countries aren't dialing PSTN numbers they have no problems. I know I
chat via IM every day with someone in a very restrictive country and
that is allowed. If I had her config a softphone as an extension on my *
PBX she would probably get arrested.