[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Oct 10 14:06:41 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 12:42 -0400, Paul wrote:
> That's why the open source version of staroffice became openoffice.org
> rather than openoffice(somebody else owns that). Maybe digium needs to
> consider allowing a name like openasterisk or asteriskorg to be used
> freely in order to preserve rights for Asterisk(tm)?

Why if someone wants to fork asterisk and call it openpbx they are free
under the terms of the GPL to do exactly that.  WHy do they have to get
permission from digium to use an alternate name selected by digium?  The
GPL was not designed to give developers so much power like that, instead
it was designed to allow people to do exactly what is happening.  All
the heating emotions over someone saying 'hey this is a good thing, but
I wanna put my persoinal touches to it' I just dont understand.

If people dont like forks dont GPL your code.  Its that simple.  If you
want GPLed code expect forks, and infact relish them because it says
that someone somewhere is stating you did a good enough job, otherwise
they would start from scratch.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378