[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Sun Oct 9 17:59:35 MST 2005

On 10/09/05 21:54 Matt Riddell said the following:
> an unbelievable day filled with people doing things in business that you just
> wouldn't do in a group of friends.

and that's the crux. it really shouldnt have had to come to this, with
differences ironed out over a discussion, private or public. however it's
not about stabbing digium or anyone else in the back, but rather a
progression of open source software. the gpl allows a fork, and the bigger
issue here is the license incompatibility between the gpl and the openh323
and the openssl licenses.

at the face of it, when it's no longer called Asterisk(tm), one can still
get the freedoms given by the gpl but without the ability to link to
openssl and openh323. there are workarounds to this without violating
either license thru the use of chan_woomera as well as keeping separate
boxes. in the separate box scenario, the copy of asterisk is
unmodified/unpatched from the original, thus still keeping the Asterisk(tm)
moniker sending calls via IAX2 to another patched asterisk which does the
real call processing.

i write software, and i'd like to go back to writing software instead of
worrying about forks, project politics and general bad feelings.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/