[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Sun Oct 9 04:19:34 MST 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 00:56, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Dinesh Nair wrote:
> > in this instance, it definitely would be safer for the freebsd folk to
> > use chan_woomera to provide h.323 functionality on asterisk as this is a
> > legal quagmire an open source project (freebsd in this case) cant get
> > mired in.
>
> I have already responded to most of this in my last post, but I will add
> one more point: we could certainly add a clause to the LICENSE file that
> gave distributions the right to make non-substantial modifications to
> the source code for compatibility/etc. without losing the ability to use
> the trademark. This would not allow (for example) bundling in major
> changes such as 'bristuff', but would allow for file locations to be
> changed, permissions modification, that sort of thing, designed for
> compatibility with the platform it's being built for.

So what you are saying is that what Novell and SUSE do by distributing
Asterisk with OpenH323, Spandsp, BRIStuff and a few other patches all
together on their FTP site, CDs and DVDs (not to mention all of the 3rd party
mirrors) and calling them collectively Asterisk is illegal. Given that they
have been doing so for longer than 12 months and there is no way that Digium
could have not know about this has Digium filed suit against Novell for this
(According to you) Trademark and Copyright infringing behavior?

Regards

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/