[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Florian Overkamp florian at speakup.nl
Sun Oct 9 00:38:54 MST 2005

Hi,

Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>> Well, given that you didn't design H323 (The ITU did) or SSL (Netscape
>> did as far as I remember), and you don't own the patents to g.729 I
>> would say that you are full of shit and don't have any say in the matter.
>
> That shows how totally ignorant you are.   Open H.323, OpenSSL and G.729
> are not compatible with the GPL.  It has nothing to with who owns what.

You are making assumptions on _how_ OpenPBX would reach those
functionalities. We all agree that

- It is not allowed to _link_ to g729 patented code in a GPL product
- It is not always (!) allowed to link OpenSSL and OpenH323 in a pure
GPL product (see also http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2)

However there are design methods that allow one to reach the
functionality through a different process.

Florian