[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sat Oct 8 14:35:43 MST 2005

>>This is complete nonsense. The end user can do /whatever he likes/ with
>>GPL software, /including linking it with commercial software/. The GPL
>>restrictions only apply to /redistribution rights/.
>>

>Let's not be pedantic, you know what jerjer meant.

No, I think a lot of people make this mistake about the GPL so I felt it
was necessary to remind it.

>>So openpbx could release a couple of handy scripts so that end users can
>>easily link the software with whatever they like and there would be no
>>infringement.
>>

>That's a very slippery slope, possibly contributory copyright
>infringement.

Absolutely not. A script that can be used to link, say, OpenH323 to
OpenPBX is not anymore infringing than, say, GCC.

I don't see how making it easier for people to do something that they
are legally allowed to do anyway can be considered illegal. Not anymore
than make, automake, twig, portage, or other tools that are used for
linking.

In fact this was one of the reason for which WineX (nowadays called
Cedega) threatened to change their license and remove CVS access: it was
too easy to build using gentoo portage... but in no way illegal.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.