[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Sat Oct 8 14:30:46 MST 2005

On 10/09/05 04:49 Kevin P. Fleming said the following:
> An original Asterisk distribution plus patches is still called Asterisk,
> since it is the source code that was distributed by the owner of the
> Asterisk trademark.

ok, this clears freebsd's asterisk port then, since in that mechanism the
original asterisk source is downloaded before the freebsd specific patches
are applied to it. it's good that someone from digium has clarified this.

> If you modify the code and distribute it, you cannot call it Asterisk,
> since you are not the trademark owner. Once the name 'Asterisk' is not
> applicable to the source code, the GPL exceptions that Digium has

do bear with me as i (and all of use here, i hope) try to understand this.

after the original asterisk source is untarred, and the freebsd specific
patches are applied to it, it ceases to be Asterisk(tm), correct ? since
the compilation and linking with openh323/openssl happens after it ceases
to be Asterisk(tm), then how does this make the freebsd asterisk port
GPL-legal ?

this is some cause for concern, since a large number of us are using
asterisk on freebsd and are building it from the ports.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/