[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat Oct 8 13:59:55 MST 2005

Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On 10/09/05 04:07 Jeremy McNamara said the following:
>
>> It very clearly states in the README in the Asterisk source TLD:
>>
>>  Specific permission is also granted to OpenSSL and OpenH323 to link
>> with Asterisk.
>>

>> LINK WITH ASTERISK - A fork is not asterisk.
>

> i'm failing to understand this. person A downloads asterisk from
> www.asterisk.org, links in open{ssl,h323} and this is ok.
>
> person B downloads asterisk from www.asterisk.org, modifies some GPLed
> asterisk code, links in open{ssl,h323} and distributes sources to the
> whole shebang (including the modifications) , and this is not ok ?
>
> i dont think this is the way the GPL and the linking waiver works, but
> then IANAL either.

You raised the same question I did in another post.

The fallacy being promoted here is that "A fork is not asterisk"

A fork is asterisk with modifications. If I change one character of the
source I have the equivalent of a fork as far as licensing and legal
issues are concerned. If I start a community project based on my
one-character change it is called a fork.

I am running 3 types of asterisk on test sytems. I have it locally
compiled. I have it installed from official debian packages. I have it
installed from xorcom.com debian packages. All 3 are modifications to
"Official Asterisk". So I really have 3 forks of asterisk running on my
systems.

Anyway, GPL does not grant perpetual dictatorship. The Digium folks know
that. You notice they are not threatening anyone here.