[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Brian West brian at bkw.org
Sat Oct 8 13:40:54 MST 2005

On 10/8/05 3:30 PM, "Paul" <digium-list at 9ux.com> wrote:

> Jeremy, I fully understand your explanation.
>
> The question that raises is: How does a GPL fork differ enough to lose
> those waivers? Suppose I write several thousand lines of GPL patches to
> a GPL-released asterisk. I put the patch set and the original asterisk
> tarball on my ftp/http servers. I don't see much difference between that
> and a forked project as far as license issues go.

His argument is invalid in the first place.  The h.323 interface will be
done via Woomera as will the SS7 interface (www.ss7box.com/asterisk.html).

As for OpenSSL it is said very clearly on the website its fine to use if
your OS or Distribution includes the library in the base.  Most Linux and
BSD's these days do.  I think their are very few exceptions to that rule.

On to G.729, this can be done two ways.  The first way is to use hardware
with a socket interface (which is on its way already) or use a socket
interface to a software process to perform the same thing.  Both are
perfectly valid and legal under the GPL.

So we have thought about this.  Anyone reading this now has the bottom line
story on what is going on and our view of this matter.

Thanks,
Brian West
OpenPBX.org