[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 13:33:16 MST 2005

On 10/8/05, Jeremy McNamara <jj at nufone.net> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> > The patent owners would view locally compiled GPL asterisk and a GPL
> > fork of asterisk equally. If they permit me to buy codec licenses from
> > digium and use them with an asterisk that I have modified there is no
> > reason to prevent me from doing the same with a fork.
>

> You do not understand. Only the copyright holder of the GPL software
> can allow non-gpl software to link with their GPL Licensed software.
>
> Open H.323, Open SSL and G.729 are not GPL licensed, hence only Digium
> can wave the GPL rights for those features to exist in Asterisk - Any
> forked project does not have the right to grant such exceptions.

Even if they finally get it, do you think they really care? Sounds to me
like they are perfectly fine with violating a license if they don't agree
with it, and think they can get away with it.

What gets me is that they are completely blinded to the fact that any smart
business person after reading this thread will now avoid them like the
plague.

The good thing is you don't have to sue them, they will simply self
destruct.