[Asterisk-biz] US e911 reminder

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Nov 30 23:21:26 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 21:59 -0500, Paul wrote:
> I say this jokingly but think about the following hypothetical situation:
>
> 1) Acme voip offers the best deal ever in retail voip plans. They can
> only provide e911 to people in the Gotham City area so they do not
> accept new customers from elsewhere.
>
> 2) The word gets around on lists like these that all you have to do is
> provide the address of a major office building in Gotham City in order
> to signup with Acme. They don't dispute billing address being different
> since it is quite common for the hq office in another city to pay the
> bills for a branch office in Gotham City.

Read the rules VERY carefully.  The FCC puts the burden of accurate
addresses on the consumer not the provider (gasp that almost makes
sense!! *shock*).  Further you have to mail stickers but there is
nothing that says you have to have address verification, delivery
confirmation or even return service.  Broadvoice for example sends out
stickers with no valid address (postcard stickers) so they dont have to
deal with bad addresses - they will never know which get returned.

> 3) Eventually somebody connected with the PSAP notices that certain
> addresses seem to have way too many new phone lines. They investigate
> and learn how easily end users can put bogus information into the
> system. The state and local governments take the issue up with Acme and
> the FCC. The argument pushed hardest is that whatever is just and fair
> for acme should fit all voip providers.

Odds are no, I dont think the psaps generally have the data before a
call comes in, they are given in realtime the address info.  Further
they wouldnt initiate an investigation usually.  Take the modesto
california area, AMR (private ambulance company) does the PSAP.  They
have no ability to start an investigation, only to pass anything off to
the government (local/state police for example) and then the government
gets to do the investigating.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378