[Asterisk-biz] US e911 reminder

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Nov 30 19:24:34 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 19:39 -0600, asterisk_help at iwishi.nu wrote:
> I'd like to see each PSAP work into their contracts a requirment for IP
> connectivity from their local telco. (or other provider) Would make this
> SO MUCH EASIER!

This may be a reality in time, as right now they are governed by both
state and federal laws.  One thing the FCC did was push to get IP
providers into the mix, a requirement they never had to do before.  A
good showing to the FCC that this is a reasonable requirement might go a
long way, since it is them that ordered the interconnection in the first
place.  They should make that interconnection reasonable.

Most VoIP providers do not have a national network.  Vonage paid a lot
to interconnect nationally, most providers, especially smaller ones just
got priced out of the game.

To effectively mandate that you pay every ilec in a given area or go
through a service provider that specializes in this is somehat
questionable in my mind.  I think that may be a bit much to ask for in
the next few months, but a strong coalition of VoIP providers may make
this easier.  However, there are security concerns to balance this out,
do you really want every PSAP to be inet connected?  Although the other
side of that is they effectively are if VoIP providers are connected to
them somehow.

This is certainly an issue that needs to be dealt with and not just
ignored.  Telecom has changed forever, the rules that cover it should
change with it and not force legacy only solutions that favor one class
of providers at the expense of others.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378