[Asterisk-biz] DS3000P - 16 E1 capacity on single card (Are we there yet or temp solution)

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Wed Nov 23 20:56:56 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 November 2005 22:43, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> > pppoe, or even running SIP compressed openvpn tunnels.  Those options are
> > all kinda gay, but still: Solution to large header overhead is header
> > compression, not a un-scalable trunking scheme (see all the fun trying to
> > add jitter buffer into a trunked link).
>
> Uh... the (new) IAX2 code is perfectly capable of trunking multiple
> sources going to the same destination WITHOUT screwing with their
> relative timestamps.  I worked with Steve Kann while he figured it out.
> Seems to work pretty good for me.
Yeah, but that was painful, wasn't it? ;)

> Also remember that you can do the IP+UDP compression on IAX2 as well
> (RTP compression won't work obviously, but the trunked frames are
> already size-reduced to start with).
So you won't win much from doing compression on iax2.

Nevertheless, there isn't much point in arguing. Asterisk people will
continue working/improving IAX and the people in the carrier world will
continue ignoring it (and/or laughing at it). Frankly, until IAX
scalability issues are resolved and a large media gateway manufacturer
commits to supporting it (heh!) I don't see this changing.

-alex