[Asterisk-biz] DS3000P - 16 E1 capacity on single card (Are we there yet or temp solution)

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Wed Nov 23 20:43:25 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 November 2005 12:27, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> > b) savings from IAX trunking are overstated. On serial links, enable
> > RTP header compression for best savings...
>
> Care to explain how the trunk savings are overstated?  Or better yet,
> have some test data that shows the bandwidth of say a dozen SIP calls
> between two systems with RTP compression, and a dozen trunked IAX2 calls
> between the same servers?
RTPC when there's no other traffic on the line will take 2 bytes per
packet additional to RTP traffic. Thus, whatever IAX2 does will be worse.

Now, as I indicated, RTPC is only available for serial links. For
non-serial links there are options such as running header compression over
pppoe, or even running SIP compressed openvpn tunnels.  Those options are
all kinda gay, but still: Solution to large header overhead is header
compression, not a un-scalable trunking scheme (see all the fun trying to
add jitter buffer into a trunked link).

-alex