[Asterisk-biz] Other New VOIP Products from D-Link

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Wed Nov 23 10:29:40 MST 2005

Hermann Wecke a écrit :

> Jon Carnes wrote:
>
>> I've looked at the DI-102 before, but it doesn't appear to do any
>> bandwidth shaping, only prioritizing. What happens when you fill the
>> outbound Bandwidth by sending out a large email? Does it keep the Voice
>> traffic flowing while throttling the email?
>

> I'm not 100% sure but most of the devices I tested only "shapped" the
> upload traffic, as the download "should" be shapped by the ISP (in
> other words: QoS on the download side is an ISP policy, therefore, you
> shouldn't mess with it). One I can say is the Sipura SPA-2100, QoS
> only available for the upload, not download.

Actually I don't understand this. How hard would it be to construct a
device that drops all traffic coming too fast whenever:

a) the telephone starts ringing or
b) you pick up the handset?

Sure it won't help if some idiot is purposingly filling your pipe with
UDP packets, but in most instances dropping / delaying packets reduces
TCP download speed.

As for upload, there is no reason for any device not to do it properly.
Yet, the number of shite routers out there that don't do it is uncountable.

I think it's actually easier and cheaper to take a very cheap PC, stick
a couple of network cards and do the network bridge + wondershaper combo.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.