[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk / Linux / Networking Workers Needed

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Nov 20 13:03:09 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 12:53 -0700, Michael Welter wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> >

> > I'm half irish and also an illegitimate bastard. I am a non-drinker. Do
> > I qualify?
> >

> I think this part of Irish/British culture, going to the pub after work
> and having conversation for an hour or two, is something we Americans
> have lost.  Here, at least in the suburbs, we just go home and lock our
> doors.

heh..  yeah it is a cultural difference plus americans tend to label you
as a drunk or alcoholic (depending on whether or not you goto meetings)
if you drink that frequently.  Its a 'problem' and many people cant tlel
the difference between having a drink and getting drunk.  Its the same
with the gender biased laws in america where its legal for a man to be
shown in ads and in public without a shirt on but not a woman.  Comes
largely from the same roots (the puritans that originally came over).
Equal protection under the law, yeah right.

There are many cultural differences between the two, (to bring this back
to asterisk-biz related stuff).  When I lived in Scotland all prices
included all taxes and fees and everything.  The price listed was what
was paid, in america the price listed is rarely the price paid, tax,
fees, surcharges, etc all are tacked on so that an advertisement can
claim a low price.  Americans almost expect that, europeans generally
dislike that.  When marketing your services you may want to consider
that aspect in culture.  I know it made a HUGE difference when I was
selling stuff on ebay in europe, even if my total price was higher than
the combined price of someone else I got a boost in sales just by making
the price all inclusive.  I would imagine that the same would apply to
voip as it does to the consumer electronics I sold on ebay.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378